To succeed in today's business world you need skills - and you need knowledge. Determination, hard work and dedication all play a part, but it's skills and knowledge that set the leaders apart from the rest.
Onehunga High Business School was set up in 2002 to help young New Zealanders - and aspiring students from other countries - acquire business knowledge and learn business skills early.
The school is committed to four key aims:
Achieving excellence in knowledge
A strong grounding in global business theory and industry-related subjects is the foundation of the Onehunga High Business School curriculum.
Providing experimental, 'hands-on' training
Bringing in industry contacts - the best of New Zealand's entrepreneurs and business people - is the key to complementing and cementing theoretical learning
Instilling technological expertise
From on-line learning to video conferencing, Onehunga High Business School students are taught the value and potential of technology.
Ethics and integrity are not 'optional add-ons' -they are fundamental to the business of business. Students who study at Onehunga High Business School - the first and only secondary school in New Zealand whose mission is to train and develop high school students in the skills of business and entrepreneurship -get a 'head start' in their business careers through:
* a recognized Certificate in Business and Entrepreneurship
* accelerated learning
* an exciting environment in which to learn about business from real life practitioners
* development of business networks and relationships
* use of technology to interact confidently with worldwide networks
* confident use of innovative educational tools to encourage lateral thinking and therefore creativity, the cornerstone of innovation
* entrepreneurial experiential teaching style
* practical, 'hands-on' business experience as well as a strong theoretical grounding.
Who is the Business School for?
Current Onehunga High School Year 12 students who wish to develop the knowledge and skills to become tomorrow's business leaders.
* Current Year 12 students from other schools who wish to complete the Certificate in Business and Entrepreneurship
* Adult Learners who wish to return to study to pursue an interest in Business and a pathway to further tertiary study.
* International Students who wish to learn about entrepreneurship, risk taking and Business.
Maximum Credits Available
Students who undertake the Certificate in Business and Entrepreneurship course will potentially be able to gain 96 credits at Level 3 on the NZQA framework.
For University Entrance purposes 14 credits at Level 3 from three subjects on the approved list are required, a total of 42 credits. Elective papers are all subjects on the approved list. The core papaer, Entrepreneurship, will be assessed by sitting the recognised Cambridge AS Business Studies examination which is also officially recognised for University entrance purposes in New Zealand.